Saturday, February 26, 2005

Hunter S. Thompson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!
Hunter S. Thompson is dead long live Hunter S. Thompson. I have read some of his stuff especially the stuff printed in RollingStone magazine back in the day. "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail" probably my favorite. If you run across it in a used bookstore I'd like to read it again. It helped me get over McGovern loosing to Nixon but I can't remember if that's the election the book is about. The fear and loathing in Los Vegas is more a drug fueled over the top kind of thing. Nothing I like better than an author calling an election and politicians the way I see it!
Now they have our humble leader on tape saying he won't answer the pot question. Better no answer than "I didn't inhale". Your mother and I both hate Bush but ( consider our day) the question is irrelevant and the tapes a breech of privacy. It just seems a non issue unless you have a new book to hawk and then its anything for a buck. Bush is currently guilty on so many current issues that the press can't get traction on.
Nice rally in grains the last week. Do I sell here maybe because I feel so stupid over not selling earlier at higher prices or do I pass up this chance at partial redemption only to take less in July. Twenty years of experience and not a bit smarter.
Love
Dad

Dad,

Get a blog. I think it would be cathartic for you. Then you can talk about Hunter S. Thompson and any other intellectual thoughts that you have. H, A and I all agree that you really need one. And we would all read it. In fact A just said out lout, "I would love it if your Dad got a blog. I would be a big fan." I don't read people's blogs I don't know, but we all check one anothers for interesting stories that we wouldn't get via email. There are lots of Augie blogs out there that I will check up on every so often. Perhaps you could get your blog on some popular farmer website and you could all have group therapy over your marketing woes. Good luck with that.

Love, n


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey
The blog thing is tempting but maybe mailing you and the Christmas letter is catharsis enough. Maybe I'd be somebody else if I got it all out. I told mother I wonder if N realizes I write this for her and she replied you use to write me letters like that and I saved some and I wonder where they are. And we both smiled and went back to talking about the dogs. So I don't really write because I need to say anything as much as I need to say things to you. Also I'm faltered by H and A interest.
I don't have you're facility or power of concentration on the computer but on occasion I have been listening to the Blues on Shout Cast and really enjoy it. No titles with the free program but the sound is good and what a variety. So thanks for "turning me on".
Dad

Okay, but let me know if you change your mind. Perhaps I am just greedy for more of your depth of thought. The brilliant minds of the people in my life are those that I seek out the opinion of and it's even better when it makes itself to be lasting in writing.

A is reading a Jimmy Buffet book. He went to high school with her uncle and has ties to the south so many mentions in the book are familiar to her. She said this morning that he was talking about being down in Columbia stuck at an airport he didn't want to land at on his vacation. . "I pace up and down the sidewalk sweating like a pig wondering what in the hell I am doing in this place. This is the kind of shit that happens to Hunter---my old friend and sometime fellow traveler, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson---not to Jimmy Buffet." And a week ago she would have skipped over that without recognition, but not this week. I am ashamed to say his name wasn't recognized until your email, but after a little news research I am determined to read several of his books. And in fact I have "Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe, and will read that next as it all made me hungry for more counter-reading. Wolfe was mentioned in Thompson's category of journalism of that period in several articles I read.

No new snow and sleeping in was attractive this morning so no skiing for us. A and I will make stops today at several book stores and coffee shops. Perhaps I will find a tall, scruffy male in the Thompson section and he will say, "Lo, you are the one. Come away and live with me in my mountain home. My father grows pot nearby for us to smoke in our bongs."

N

No comments: