Monday, May 02, 2005

Picture This

My mom is taking golf lessons. I hate golf. I suck at golf. I hate golf because I suck at it. Because I feel uncomfortable on the course. Because even though I've played sporadically throughout my life, I still feel like everyone knows I have no business being there. And I hope that it never affects my success as a business woman because I can't make deals on the golf course. But I'm glad mom is tackling the sport. And I'm glad that I can picture it. Sometimes, we hear stories from the mouths of the people we know best and can feel as if we were there watching. Because they are so familiar to us, their mannerisms, their actions, everything about them. And you exclaim, "I can just see you doing that!" So when I read Mom's first lesson report over email last week, I laughed out loud until the neighboring prarie dogs begged my pardon to enlighten them.

And so she wrote:
"Rose and I started last Monday and had a very good time. My first time teeing off, I hit a bird about 50 yds out and nailed him. Feathers everywhere. How often does that happen? Dad said that should be like a hole in 1? The guys watching all cracked up. Oh well, we didn't know any of them."

And so I wrote:
"Holy crap, Mom! That's the funniest thing I have ever heard and certainly the thought of it made me laugh out loud. I'm still laughing about the bird! Gosh, that's the best story ever. I suck at golf and have never hit it off the ground in my life, so I hope you come to enjoy it. Maybe you can teach me."

Or maybe we can just chalk up our relationship for lost and avoid golfing as our downfall. Or maybe I'll just enjoy her stories and continue my aversion to that sport.

No comments: