Let's see, other seasonal thoughts I am embarrassed to admit . . . I can't think of any. I'll tell a little story instead.
When I was little, I always kind of dreaded the sign of peace. I always felt like it was a rush of action and trying to get the handshake right and the timing and it was a rush of anxiety followed by just feeling kinda stupid and self-conscious about nothing really. Childhood angst. Anyway, I have mostly gotten over it.
Last night I was sitting with J and J. K and T were in front of us. The sign of peace during Wednesday night candle light mass is especially tricky. It's dark - you might miss some hands all together. I was already feeling pretty thankful for the love and joy I felt for the people I was sitting next to. The sign of peace came around and it's best just to hug in the dark. So, I hugged J. Then I turned around and did a roughly 180 degree turn to the people there and next to me without missing any hands. Then I saw J's shining face leaning behind J, and I pulled her in for a squeeze. K was waiting for me down in front with a fist bump that I exploded (quietly) and finished it off with a two handed embrace of T's shake. I knew J was thinking the same thing I was. Maybe we were getting a little too rowdy with all the hugging and loving and hushed sounds of joy. . . you know the sound of joy -- (joy joy joy!) it's like you want to squeal when it wells up inside you but it's better than excitement so you grin and sigh and feel your heart swell. But, maybe a little rush of audible love escapes your lips.
Really, it's a beautiful thing. And, I mean it. Peace of Christ to you, my friends. Always. So, it is rightfully accompanied by joy. And the occasional fist bump.
No comments:
Post a Comment