Sunday, October 20, 2013

When you say, "Wis-con-sin. . . "

When I signed up to run the Denver Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon, I emailed a friend of mine to see if she and her husband were interested.  She signed them both up and, as part of her husband's birthday present, got him a Wisconsin dry-fit shirt to wear for the race.  He's a Badger, she is by marriage but went to UW-Milwaukee.  I liked the idea and went on a hunt for my own Badger-themed race gear.  I found a great red shirt at the University Bookstore when I was back visiting last month.  It has a big screen print of Bucky on it.

When I started running today, I got my first, "Go Bucky"! shout-out from a spectator less than a mile into the race.  I responded with a grin, a slight (albeit brief), quickening of pace, and a wave.  I averaged probably 1.5 loves for Wisconsin per mile.  "Bucky!" and "Badgers" and "On Wisconsin!"  And it was awesome because. . . because of what it means or stands for or perhaps just because it makes me feel part of a friendly, supportive, and fun nationwide community.

Along with a diploma and nice entry on my resume, the benefits of being a Badger after you move away from Madison are the friends you take with you, the academic reputation, the network within your chosen field, and the alumni network.  I think Wisconsin alumni are great people, and it's a distinction I am very proud to be a part of.

It seems a little silly to have so many emotions tied to a mascot on my running shirt today.  But part of being a Badger, is knowing the "all" that is behind, "When you say, 'Wisconsin," you've said it. . .

1 comment:

masala_mama said...

Yes! So true. I love when I'm outside of the MN/WI area and hear someone shout "BADGERSSS!!!" from across the street. So much pride.